Thursday, April 16, 2009

I'm determined..

I've been playing around with my camera for a little bit now, half the time on Auto, sometimes on Aperture Priority and every now and then on Manual. I know you can take wonderful shots on Auto, but it's really important to me to learn how to shoot manually...Don't get me wrong, I know Auto is great and a lot of people shoot only Auto (like this site Bakerella), but I love taking shots with natural light. I just don't like the look of the flash... Sometimes I feel as if I'm riding a bike with training wheels until I can shoot on full Manual...
As many of my friends know, I'm an avid learner and at any given time I have 5 books on my nightstand and probably 5 others underneath.. all different subjects too...I bought a few photography books about my Nikon, but they just put me to sleep...
I've been spending a little bit of time looking at some really good shots on flickr and Shutter Sisters and paying attention to the camera info when its included...but man, I have to admit I'm sure having a difficult time with that manual setting... and because I'm playing more I've been taking a lot of bad pictures.... mistakes where I've blown the exposure, I moved the camera, the focus was off.. soooo many things. Like anything worth learning it takes a lot of work, commitment and determination (which I've got tons of) to learn a new skill.... and of course PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE. My goal is simple, I want to take great pictures. I want someone to have one of those WOW moments that take their breath away..the ones I always get when I look at great photos. Not sure if I'll get there, but it will be fun trying...
To be continued ;)

No comments: